I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist providing individual, couples and family therapy, clinical supervision, and forensic and clinical mental health evaluation at a reputable private practice, Integrity Counseling in Largo, FL.
I have 15 years of experience in the human services field in a variety of counseling, case management, and supervisory positions in outpatient and residential treatment centers, public health, government agency, and private practice settings. I am a graduate of the University of South Florida specializing in Rehabilitation & Mental Health Counseling, and I am currently serving as private practitioner working with a broad spectrum of clients. Some of my areas of specialization include anxiety and depression, substance abuse and addictions, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) issues, and forensic mental health evaluations. I'm an Adjunct Professor for the Dept. of Rehabilitation & Mental Health Counseling at the University of South Florida's College of Behavioral & Community Sciences, the Past President and Chair of the Public Relations Committee of Suncoast Mental Health Counselors Association, the Executive Director the National Board of Forensic Evaluators, and the Chair of the Education, Professional Standards, and Continuing Education Committee of the Florida Mental Health Counselors Association.
My Counseling Style
I am a cognitive behavioral therapist with a particular interest in evidence-based counseling approaches that merge traditional cognitive behavioral science with mindfulness-based disciplines, creating a balance between acceptance and change, such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Solution-Focused Therapy, and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy. I also use Gottman Couples Therapy and Systemic Therapies when working with couples, families, and relationships. Clients are likely to experience me as warm, genuine, empathetic, polite, and compassionate, yet practical and oftentimes solution-focused. My practice is "faith-friendly," meaning that I respect the religious and spiritual beliefs of all my clients. I am "open and affirming," meaning that I accept and embrace the sexual orientation and gender identify of all my clients.
In addition to my work as a therapist, I provide professional training on human services-related topics, having presented for a variety of government agencies, community programs, professional associations, and private businesses. I also write articles and best practice guidelines on a range of clinical topics. As a Qualified Supervisor, I can provide clinical supervision for Registered Mental Health Counselor Interns and Registered Marriage and Family Therapy Interns.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in Counselor Education & Supervision, Cognate in Neuroscience (in progress), University of South Florida
- Master of Arts in Rehabilitation & Mental Health Counseling, University of South Florida
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of South Florida
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), Florida Dept. of Health, #MH9953
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT), Florida Dept. of Health, #MT3100
- Qualified Supervisor, Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy, & Mental Health Counseling
- Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC), Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification, # 00101220
- Certified Masters Level Addiction Professional (MCAP), Florida Certification Board, #ADC-010931-2015
- Certified Forensic Mental Health Evaluator, National Board of Forensic Evaluators, #000069
- Certified Forensic Behavioral Analyst, National Board of Forensic Evaluators, #717
- Diplomate and Clinical Mental Health Specialist in Substance Abuse and Co-Occurring Disorders (DCMHS), American Mental Health Counselors Association
- Internationally Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor (ICADC), International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium, #121164
- Master Addiction Counselor (MAC), National Certification Commission for Addiction Professionals, #509578
- National Certified Counselor (NCC) & Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor, National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC), #1069610
- Substance Abuse Professional (SAP), Florida Certification Board
- Integrity Counseling is a licensed outpatient substance abuse treatment program (FL DCF license #06-52-AD-1895-01)
- Gottman Couples Therapy, Level 3 Training
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I) Clinician
- Mental Health Counselor of the Year, 2015-2016, American Mental Health Counselors Association
- Counselor Educator of the Year, 2015-2016, Florida Mental Health Counselors Association
- FMHCA Leadership Award, 2014-2015, Florida Mental Health Counselors Association
Professional Associations and Affiiations
- American Counseling Association, Member #6334329
- American Mental Health Counselors Association, Member #999034034
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Member
- Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Issues in Counseling, Member
- Chi Sigma Iota, Counseling Academic & Professional Honor Society International, Member # 051454
- Florida Mental Health Counselors Association; Chair of Education, Training Standards, & Continuing Education Committee, 2014-2016; FMHCA Leadership Award 2015; Counselor Educator of the Year 2016
- Global Institute of Forensic Research (GIFR), Member
- NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals, Member #93400
- National Board of Forensic Evaluators, Executive Director 2016-present; Chair of Training Development & Implementation 2015-present
- Suncoast Mental Health Counselors Association, Past President and Chair of Public Relations Committee 2015-2016, President 2014-2015, President Elect, 2013-2014
To review a full copy of my curriculum vitae, click here.